Sunday, May 20, 2012

How Does Your Garden (Applique) Grow?

The Cincinnati Modern Quilt Guild held a Robert Kaufman Kona Challenge this spring. Those participating received a charm pack of solids in varying shades of the rainbow. I decided to make an applique pillow with mine using this tutorial by Kellie of Don't Look Now.


I used light-weight fusible interfacing to apply the pieces to the background. I chose Bella Solid in Lilac as the background, as opposed to the white in the tutorial, to use up something from my stash. We were allowed to use other materials as long as it was a solid, so I stayed within the rules using the Bella! :)


My machine only has a straight stitch. So, I was a bit of a rebel and used my darning foot to do the applique stitching. I like the organic effect and it seems to fit the design theme.


Choosing the different colored thread to applique with was fun. Although changing out the thread was time consuming!


The birdie is probably my favorite feature. I made mine a blue bird with a yellow beak and thread-drawn legs.


Being resourceful, I made my binding out of the left-over charm squares. This took a little more time, but I'm happy with the effect.


This pillow resides on our couch now, but it will likely end up in one of our girl's rooms. Olivia will probably claim it as her own before poor little Ellie has a chance to fight for it. Ah, sisterhood. :)


2 comments: